Sunday, September 27, 2009

Nostalgia

Nostalgia is a curious phenomenon. It somehow elevates mundane past events into fond memories.

Chennai was my home for seven years. In the last few days of my stay in Chennai, even the routine, day-to-day stuff was filled with a twinge of sadness – the regular drive to my daughter’s school, going to Nilgiri’s to buy grocery, taking an evening walk in our apartment complex. When I was dropping off my maid to the Egmore station on the last day, I even felt sad that I’m not going to hear these Tamil announcements in the railway station in near future. Never thought I was going to miss that!

Can it be true that our childhood was not as idyllic as we make it out to be now? With many years in between, may be our memory has glorified mundane events into sweet memories, and erased unhappy ones?

2 comments:

Vidya Venkat said...

hain? Do I take it that you have moved out of Chennai lock, stock and barrel? I didn't know that!

Tamal De said...

With due respect to the place that housed me for more than four years... I havent missed Chennai for even a min... I am glad to be in Bombay...